Thursday, July 24, 2008

Things I've learned about Hawaii this week

I remembered the other annoying (and also surprising) thing. There is no Target here. Wal-Mart? Yes. K-Mart? Check. Sam's? Yep. Costco? Uh-huh. Alas, no Target. And I still have a gift card I need you use...

On a related note, I learned something interesting (this is not the only interesting thing I've learned, however, more HI tidbits to follow): some of the stores here, like Apple and Nike, are the highest grossing locations anywhere. At first, I was like, nah, how can that be? But it's all the insane-rich, mostly Japanese, tourists. Interesting. [note: I am taking this on the word of the person who told me, I have not actually confirmed this]

Other factoids:

The Hawaiian language only consists of twelve letters.

The Hawaiian word for "tiny fish" is: humuhumunukunukuapua'a. Big word for little fish.

Michelle Wie's (probably old) dentist's office is(was) in my building. She is also apparently very, very tall, which I never knew.

Meat Jun is, from my understanding, the Hawaiian/Korean version of steak fingers. I plan on trying it on Monday and will report back.


In other news, I got two spam emails today that I was really, really tempted to open. Their subject lines read:

John McCain eats a bug.

and

Children admit to being little shits - Video

I'm not sure which I wanted to see more. But I fought the urge after realizing infecting the company's computer after less than a week there in hopes of seeing a politician imbibe insects or kids denigrating themselves would not be the best decision. Probably.

k

2 comments:

Unknown said...

...but if someone sends "John McCain Admits To Being A Little Shit", please fwd it to me...I'll post it to FreeRepublic (wait...that'd probably be where it started ;)
I love you! Mom
P.S. Target.com :)

AuntWani said...

Hello, Katy! Had to finally respond to your fabulously funny blog if only to tell you that your mom had beaten me to the target.com suggestion. You're not surprised that we would think alike are you? Also wanted you to rest well knowing that "Dog the Bountyhunter" will be back on the air with new episodes within the month. That is good news since you don't want him running around loose with nothing to do on the islands. Truly a dog to stay away from. And green ears on Evie and Fergie? Sounds like an intervention would be in the making. Love to you and am enjoying your blog. God bless. Aunt Wani (that even sounds Hawaiian...)