Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pictures, Tangents, and Rants


As promised, here is a picture of my car (a week after the fact, I know). It is too cute! Every morning when I'm leaving for work I have to smile. It is a very happy car. All it needs is a few accessories and a surf board on top. Even if it turns out I suck at surfing.

Here is a picture of a gecko that got stuck under the dish rack in my kitchen sink. I couldn't catch him, so I laid a towel along the counter and into the sink and herded him over to it so he would have something to get traction on to make his way out.


And, I'm (almost) official at work! I have my own extension and I'm on everyone's little phone cards. Now all I need are my own keys and personalized company business cards.


Now, I know pretty much all I've talked about so far is how great things are here. A few of you have asked me if there's anything I don't like. The answer is yes. More specifically:

1. Sudden downpours with zero warning. I learned this the hard way on my very first day of work walking to my building. Without an umbrella. It made me very unhappy.

2. National commercials for chains we do not have here. Sonic, your banana split shake looks delicious. Your website informs me there is no sonic location within 1000 miles of me. So thank you for that.

3. Valid only at participating locations. This means NOT valid in Hawaii. We do not have $5 foot long subs at Subway or Quiznos. We do not have 79 cent tacos at TBell. It's pretty lame.

4. Not so much a complaint, but something that I've had to adjust to and is also fast food related: almost NO drive thrus. I've seen two: Arby's and McDonald's. Jack in th Box might be, I haven't really looked that closely. But most places, even if it is a big chain and it is free standing and there is room for one, do not have drive thrus. I realize now how much driving thru I did in Austin: food, banking, coffee, prescriptions, dry cleaning. None o that here.

5. Mainlanders calling me at 5-6 AM. Sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks. Sucks.

Hm, seems like there was something else, but I can't think of it.

Oh, I was very proud of myself this morning: A Japanese tourist asked me for directions to Wal-Mart and I was actually able to tell her! I was happy not only that I now know the area well enough to direct her, but also that I give off the appearance of someone who looks like they know where they are.

Work is going well. It is pretty crazy because we have a big pitch for a big bank coming up, as well as a "secret" client that only like four people in the office know about. I am not one of those people. I do feel a little out of place sometimes, partly because I'm still new, also because the next youngest person there is thirty-one. But everyone in the office is really nice and--based on the fact that "F*** It Friday" is this week--fun.

k

1 comment:

Dad said...

Have you thought about throwing a gecko on the barbie ? They look pretty meaty--
I like your new car. Are you missing the SLK ? I bet the Element is much better for scaring moronic bicyclers who think they can ride in the middle of the car lanes and go through red lights to get ahead of you right after you have passed them and gave them the finger.
Great shot of the Katy extension--when do we get the pix of the Lanikai juice ?
Poor baby--no drive-throughs--at least in the morning you don't have to wake up in oklahoma !!
I used to think that it was a terrible thing that life was so unfair--then I thought what if life was fair and all those terrible things that happen to us were because we deserved them--hummmm
Oh well-got to go knock a hole in my head and let some brains in
Love from dad and the dogs