Saturday, July 19, 2008

Now for the other things...

So this will be kind of a potpourri of pictures and stories that have happened since my last post.

I drove around somewhat aimlessly on Wednesday; I feel like that's one of the best ways to learn a new city, just kind of venture out and see where everything is first hand. Anyhow, I ended up driving downtown, then up through Hawaii Kai, by Hanauma Bay, and Waimanalo Bay, all on th east side of the island. And it's a good thing I am writing this, because I butcher the pronunciation of the Hawaiian language and am getting increasingly frustrated about it. People at work will ask me stuff like where something is and I'll try to pronounce a street name with like eight vowels and a k and an l and three of the vowels are u and they're all in a row, and when I can't say it they laugh at the haole (how-lee, white person. I know that one...). Ugh. It's embarrassing. I'm trying to learn though.

Anyhow, here are some of the pictures I took on my drive:
This is one of my favorite things about Hawaii: you'll be stopped at an intersection, and a breeze comes through, and all of these beautifully colored petals come blowing down from the trees onto the street. It's a nice moment in the middle of the crazy-ass driving that happens in Honolulu.

I love, love, love these trees. Mom, I'm sure you can tell me what they are. They are so vivid and vibrant and they just pop against the backdrop of the city.

Diamondhead. Kind of a lame picture, but it's there.

North of Hanauma Bay. The road I was on is breathtaking to drive, which makes it really dangerous. Tourists (and me) are trying to look out at the ocean and take pictures, while the locals become irate that they're driving so slow, and all of this is happening on a winding two-lane road on the edge of cliff above the ocean. Bad combination.


This is near Waimanalo Bay. I'm pretty sure I saw this place on an episode of Intervention, and I'm guessing Dog has probably filmed in the area as well. I know this kind of situation isn't unique to Hawaii, but it is startling to see the juxtaposition of a hellhole in the middle of paradise. One minute you are looking at some of the most picturesque beach in the world, and then you come around the corner to see this. It catches you off guard.

Now, back to the house:
This is the best picture I've been able to get of Osito. I have learned he's a little bit camera shy. I've also learned he's not just Pomeranian, but also Papillon, which I can totally see now.

Here is Chiquita, formerly known as Lani. She and Osito were in my place when I took these pictures, because they've learned that when they get kicked out of the main house into the backyard, they can come to my back door, which connects to the backyard, and whine until I buckle and let them in. Anyway, I folded up my boxes and bubble wrap that I had my stuff shipped in and slid them under the bed since I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying. Chiquita crawled under the four inch gap between my bed and the floor and made herself a bubble wrap nest. She is awfully cute.

Here is one of the outdoor geckos. He is missing part of his tail, so he must have had a run-in with something. They are much bigger and braver than the indoor geckos, and not nearly as pretty. But the indoor geckos are very quick and skittish, so I haven't been able to get any pictures of them yet.

One last wildlife story: Y'all remember that cockroach from my very first post? Well, I was washing my face when out of the corner of my eye, I saw his big bad brother cockroach. I squealed. This was the biggest freaking bug I have ever seen in my life. It was right next to my brand new bar of Dove, and I swear to you, he was every bit as long. I was freaking out trying to find something in the bathroom BIG enough to smash him with. It turns out that was the toilet paper stand. I smashed him several times with it and haven't moved it since. I'm scared to now, in case he's under there playing possum.

k

4 comments:

Dad said...

I gotta have a picture of the dead cockroach !!Just another part of Katy's great adventure. Remember...if you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
Love
Dad

Unknown said...

I sleep on the edge, does that count? Two Guesses who is taking up all the space...and, no, their beds are (unused) on the floor ;)
Great pics...I think those are both cassia trees (sent you links so you can decide for yourself)...SO beautiful! Glad your first day at work went well...sounds like you're with nice people :) I love you! Mom

<3Lina Bina said...

ktcakes, my dear, my darling!
I love your pics! especially the one of the trees! how pretty! and I love love love that your license plate is in your window and the rainbow is reflecting! SO cool! almost as cool as your super duper awesomely cute ELEMENT! awwwwwwwe!
the dogs are fn cute! osito totally has some papillon! and chiquita is so cute I could literally pop her in my mouf!
oh, and your dad's isms are so right on all the time. he should write a book, or you should write it for him!
I love you and miss you and thank you for encouraging my spendage of monies :) what are friends for right?
aloha!
<3Lina

ps. sorry for all the exclamation marks. I get excited when I think of you in Hawaii! and oh, even if you can't get the Hawaiian language down, don't fret about it too much, three "u"s in a row is understandably difficult. I am proud you are trying. you are my favorite white girl who is really asian. whoot!

<3Lina Bina said...

pss. thank you thank you thank you for not posting a pic of the giangantor roach. oh em gee eff zee.