Thursday, July 10, 2008

Aloha!

Yes, I moved to Hawaii. Yes, I know it's crazy. But it's done, so get over it and be happy. :)

I figured this would be the easiest way to stay in touch with everyone, given the logistical challenges of timezones and such. And you can check in when you feel like it as opposed to me blindsiding you with jealousy-inducing pictures and stories. Ha ha. And for those of you who know Nirja, I totally copied this idea from her, so I've got to give credit where it's due.

I am living in a little studio attached to the most wonderful family's house. Liliani, my landlady, feels like a second mom. She is so sweet and accommodating. Her sons have also been very helpful, carrying my boxes in for me, offering to teach me to surf, setting up my internet, etc. I am definitely feeling the Ohana spirit. Oh, and there are two little dogs: Osito, a 3 year old Pom who knows all sorts of tricks, and Lani, a 6 week old Chihuahua who just arrived TODAY! They are certainly no replacement for Fergie and Eevee, but they are fun to have around. I will have to get pictures of them sometime soon. Speaking of pictures, here are pictures from the beach, just a couple of blocks from where I live, taken after I arrived Monday afternoon.



This little boy was so cute watching his two older sisters learn how to "surf" on their boogie boards. He ran around naked in the water later. Also cute.

This is taken facing back towards where I live. The house you can see is not the one I'm living in. My house is the third house in from the beach (ugh, SO terrible... ;) ).

Here's a picture of a rainbow I took with my phone on Tuesday--I don't know if you can see it or not, but it was the first rainbow I had seen in a long time and I wanted to capture it.


Speaking of capturing, I have yet to capture a picture of what Lilian refers to as "my roommates." By that she means geckos. They are everywhere! I have only seen two in my place, but they are really cool looking and all different colors. They hang around everywhere in the garden outside my door. I kinda wanna catch one, but I don't want to scare them away. After all, they are the main bug patrol for the place.

Speaking of bugs (this is all flowing together so nicely--I didn't even plan it), everyone has warned me about how huge the bugs get here, but I started to think they were all putting me on because I hadn't seen ANY bugs--until tonight. Let me tell you, what they lack in numbers, they make up for in size. Check out this guy:



Don't freak--the place I am living is very nice and super clean, but leaving the doors and windows open most of the day invites in some unwelcome guests. But I had to get a picture of the first Hawaii-sized bug I'd seen (also the first one I killed).

As far as practical matters go, I had an interview with an ad agency on Wednesday for a junior copywriting position. The creative director called me back this afternoon and said they're interested, and we are meeting again on Monday to discuss "the nuts and bolts." I am undecided as to whether or not I will take it. It doesn't seem like the place where I could do work I would want to add to my portfolio. But they are pitching me their stuff on Monday, so I will keep an open mind until then. I'm working on finding a car and some back-up employment options, so y'all try not to worry about me too much--it's all under control!

That's all for now. I hope all of you are well! I love and miss you all. Mahalo for all of the warm wishes I received before I left and for those that have been relayed to me by my mom.

k

2 comments:

Dad said...

WOW ! I remember when Mario Cart was a challenge & now you have your own blog.The area looks great but you can call that "thing" a bug all you want--It is a ROACH.Your dogs are doing fine except they are currently barking incessently at the yard guys.
Hope you get a "deal" on a car & the job situation works itself out--otherwise it soon will be hula dancing for drunk & slovenly tourists on the patio at the Hilton.
Also, you should probably swing by Dog the Bounty Hunter's place & make friends with Beth as the job possibilities there are endless.
As your blog develops, remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people asking questions.
Love
Dad
P.S.-- Your Mom is concerned about the roach being bigger than the baby Chihuahua.

Nirja said...

Katy, Mariokart was tough for you??? Why didn't you tell me? Nimish and I would've started training you back in 6th grade. Oh well...I'm so glad you have a blog! I stalk you enough on facebook, gmail, etc, so thank you for just adding to the list!

Can't wait to hear more stories and I'll be in touch soon with updates on life here. Let's skype soon, so you can show me that commercial that sounds just like the flea market montgomery commercial...