Friday, August 15, 2008

Happy Admissions Day!

It is a holiday here today, Admissions Day--yay!

But I still have to work--boo.

Admissions Day is the third Friday in August, a celebration of Hawaii becoming a state in 1959. A lot of people must have the day off, because there was so little traffic this morning, I actually checked my phone on the way in to make sure it wasn't Saturday. Seriously, I made it into work thirty minutes faster than usual. It was weird.

Work has been a little slow lately, and I have a feeling it is going to be painfully slow today because of the holiday. Oh well. I'm not, shall we say, highly motivated to work, seeing as I just got my first paycheck and the dirtywording government took all my damn money. Ugh. Like I'm ever going to see that Social Security. Being a grown up sucks. Now I know what everyone's been whining about. Lame.

Okay, sorry, got that out of my system.

I've been practicing my Hawaiian in my spare time at work. I found this website that is supposed to help with pronunciation, and I sit at my desk and practice under my breath. Occasionally, I'll test myself on the art director who sits at the cubicle behind mine.
"Hey, Robbie--that street over here, is it Ke'eaumoku?"
"You mean this one over here? Ke'eaumoku?"
Son of a... "Yeah, thanks." Not only can I still not pronounce it right, I pointed in the wrong direction. The multifaceted joys of relocation.

Since I seem to be in the mood to complain today, I'm going to cut it short, run over and deposit my smaller-than-I-anticipated-because-of-the-no-good-federal-government check, and take a picture of some yellow fire trucks to share later because the fire station is right across the street from my bank.

Aloha.

k

No comments: