Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wild(and not-so wild)life Update

Remember that dog I mentioned seeing roaming around near my building, the one with the green ears? I saw him again! And now he's purple! Apparently he lives at one of the eleventeen nail salons in the neighborhood (statement of fact, not a racial thing). At least I'm assuming he lives there, I saw him through the window as I was walking by. Maybe he was just having a fill done or something, I don't know; he does seem fairly high maintenance.

Speaking of dogs, I was driving home in the rain on the Pali, I had just come through the pukas (holes, in this case tunnels), it was getting dark, and I see something moving in the narrow strip of median--that is one ugly dog--and it's freaking huge--then I drive closer--it's a giant wild pig! With two baby (not-so little) pigs! Aah! Those things are scary lookin, man. I would not mess with them.

Other roadside wildlife sitings: a mongoose on the way to the gym in Kaneohe, chasing its tail! I swear. I would have thought maybe it had gone crazy from rabies if they had rabies here. Maybe it went crazy from something else, I don't know. But I watched him while I sat the light, just chasing his tail. Weird. I think the mongoose are pretty cool looking, like I would probably try to make a pet out of one given the opportunity. But the people who live here have a serious beef with the mongeese--apparently they were brought here for the express purpose of killing the rats in the sugar plantations. The mongooses and the rats, however, do not keep the same schedule; the rats are nocturnal, the mongeese are not, giving them very little hunting opportunity. So that didn't go so well, and now mongooses are like squirrels are on the mainland, and some people seem to be pretty touchy about the whole subject.

Moving on, there is a group of chickens that lives off the side of the highway right as you come into Honolulu off of the Pali. Most mornings they're out there, just pecking away, seemingly oblivious to the throng of belligerent morning rush-hour drivers, bumper to bumper mere feet away from them. It never fails to make me chuckle. I mean, seriously. Chickens. On the side of the highway. How is that not funny? I am dying to get a picture, but it's going to be tricky, given that the crux of the hilarity lies in the fact that it's morning rush hour traffic. We'll see.

No comments: