Saturday, September 13, 2008

Food Update

Because it wouldn't be me without one.

So, did I mention manapua in an earlier post? A good blogger would go back and check, alas I am not. In case I didn't a manapua is Korean, I believe, but they are very big here as is most Asian food. It is a fairly sweet chopped pork mixture stuffed inside a fluffy, doughy ball. It looks like this on the outside:


And this on the inside:

They're pretty dang good. Think Pillsbury meets sloppy joe (only not as sloppy and more of a sweet flavor than a bar-b-q one). They're a popular thing for clients to bring to meetings. Another thing we get a lot of are malsadas. They're like doughnuts but without the hole in the middle and very heavily coated in sugar. Sooo good. Clients bring us a lot of food. And I always eat it. Which is why I've been needing to go to the gym instead of just doing it for recreation--too many office goodies.

So at our last office social hour, we were talking about food, and somehow fried pickles managed to bring themselves into the conversation. How could they not, right? As many of you know, I am one of the world's foremost fried pickle aficionados, so I was immediately enlivened by the turn in conversation. Come to find out, no one here knows about fried pickles! It is a totally foreign concept! Agh! So I set about educating the group, explaining the different cuts, coatings, dipping sauces (ketchup mixed with ranch IS the best, don't care how gross anyone else says it is). It was quite the cultural exchange.

Also, I went to Whole Foods on Friday. They just opened Hawaii's first here on Oahu this past Wednesday. It made me fairly homesick, although they have so much local stuff, it didn't even really seem much like Whole Foods in Texas (not to mention it's like a tenth of the size). I did, however, eat chicken tamales, which were not nearly as good as Pedro's from Lubbock, but still the closest thing to a taste os Texas as I've gotten down here.

And I'm ending on that note before I get more homesick. Go eat some Tex-Mex for me!

3 comments:

<3Lina Bina said...

that is TOTALLY a bánh bao! A Vietnamese dumpling. When you get back to Texas I am taking you to eat Sunday morning Dim Sum! omfgz I can't wait!!! OMFGZ.
LUMU

Dad said...

Uncooked dough ball with a blood spot in it or Torchy's tacos & a side of bean nachos with extra cheese .... hummmmm I think I'll go with the mexican. However, high maintenance dogs, chicks & mongeese in a paridise-like setting just might offset the food imbalance, but personally, I'd be thugging for great Austin cuisine--see ya , I'm headed for Dirty Martin's.
Love
dad

Katy said...

it is too cooked, dad! you can get them baked or fried...