Saturday, September 13, 2008

It doesn't suck.




So, I've been neglectful with the blog lately, partly because I've been busy, but also because I've been a bit homesick and a little down on Hawaii. Not that I'm unhappy here, it's just tremendously different, and I still don't really feel at home or acclimated. But then I happen across views like this, and all of the things I whine about seem pretty irrelevant.

These were taken in Lanikai, not far from where I live in Kailua. I was giving a friend a lift that morning and showed up early, so I hopped out of the car next to the nearby country club and took a few pictures while I waited.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, I am going to videotape my drive to work in the morning to post up here. Doesn't sound exciting, I know, but it is so tremendously beautiful. Seriously. Every morning, I drive to work and think how lucky I am to be alive and living here. Words can't do it justice. It's like it shouldn't even be real. And even though I stress sometimes--living on a tiny island in the middle of the freaking ocean among a culture so different it might as well be a foreign country--being reminded of the bigger picture like that first thing everyday seems pretty worth it.

No comments: